Habakkuk Week 1
The oracle that Habakkuk the prophet saw.(Habakkuk 1:1) ESV
What makes a prophet a prophet? He’s the guy who’s not satisfied with the answers he gets from the people of his time, so he takes it to the top: he goes directly to God.
- 1:40 When you muddy truth and truth is no more then trust will follow,
where there is no truth there is no trust.
- 3:09 The enemy is hard at work in the church to cause divisions.
- 3:20 A civil war on the horizon between God’s people. It has nothing to do with the gospel.
- 3:45 It seems to me that the church in our country has passion for things that are not the gospel. Medical practices rather than godliness. Love must be done in the right way. We should be united in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- 4:50 We are the people of God! We have a mission to reveal his love and his grace.
- 5:28 A potential storm and I don’t want it to infiltrate our body here.
- 5:35 Challenge: everything you post and everything you say should be done through a gospel lens. (Social Media) How will this make God look?
O Lord, how long shall I cry for help,(Habakkuk 1:2-4) ESV
and you will not hear?
Or cry to you “Violence!”
and you will not save?
Why do you make me see iniquity,
and why do you idly look at wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me;
strife and contention arise.
So the law is paralyzed,
and justice never goes forth.
For the wicked surround the righteous;
so justice goes forth perverted.
- 6:48 How long?
- 7:49 Habakkuk 1
- 8:30 Prayer
- 11:10 A prophet in the Old Testament
- 12:40 Time and time again they would warn the people of God
- 13:22 Times have changed but the hearts of men and women have not
- 13:50 The Bible begins with God, who is complete and is completely good
- 14:16 That’s why we can be saved by grace
- 14:26 He creates humanity for His glory and makes us in His image… there’s goodness in us of God
- 14:57 Whether we know it or not we were created to give Him glory and a desire for His glory to be known
- 17:08 The temptation and pride is to say “because there is a God I don’t need to worship Him, but I need to be like Him
- 17:33 Immediately all things shifted, sin separates
- 18:12 Discontentment
- 18:30 God promises a savior
- 18:45 All of the earth was affected, environmental brokenness
- 18:55 Suffering
- 19:25 Every step we take away from God is a step we will regret
- 19:44 Nine different kinds of suffering
- 22:05 Habakkuk backstory
- 23:50 Manasseh (2 Kings)
- 24:00 Molech
- 24:30 Josiah
- 25:35 Josiah and the Priests find the Torah, read it, and begin to weep
- 25:50 The people of God who have no idea what scripture is
- 26:40 May the church of our nation rediscover the word of God
- 27:50 Judah quickly becomes run into the ground spiritually
- 28:00 And now Habakkuk is talking to God
- 28:23 He’s frustrated with what is happening
- 29:10 Habakkuk doesn’t speak to the people on behalf of God, he speaks to God on behalf of his people
- 29:20 His prayer, his journal, these are thoughts between him and God and God allows us to see this
- 29:30 Journaling… it will help your joy, to focus on truth not feeling
- 31:00 he goes to God twice and God answers him twice
- 31:20 God’s going to let him see a few things
- 31:50 The oracle that Habakkuk the prophet saw
- 33:50 Agonizing prayer
- I don’t understand, you must not be good, you must not even be there.. maybe you don’t even exist
- Ignore everything around you, drown yourself in social media…
- 35:25 I’ve got to do something. God you’re the only one who has answers. I’m frustrated but I have nowhere else to go
- 36:20 Righteous angst
- 37:40 Is this not the nation that we live in today?
- 38:00 Challenge: where are we turning in our frustrations? Let’s follow Habakkuk’s example
- 39:20 turn away from God or turn towards God?
- 39:30 Doubt is like a poised foot
- 40:00 Investigated faith
Faith without investigation into the doubts that we have will not lead you to a faith that will stand firm.– Brandon Mercer
- 40:30 Do not have an uninvestigated faith
- 41:15 What is faith? If faith shifts every time things get hard then it wasn’t faith in something that’s worth putting your faith in
- 42:00 Real faith
- 43:45 C. S. Lewis
You can’t call the world evil if this is all that there is, it’s just how the world is. But if it isn’t the way that it should be then there must be something outside of it that gives us a sense that this isn’t the way that things should be.– C. S. Lewis
- 45:00 Habakkuk starts with God. He puts himself intellectually and emotionally bare before God
- 46:10 The most loving and encouraging thing that I can do is to is to point you to the truth… Go to Him, seek Him
- 46:50 Behold!
- 49:05 There are things that He is doing that we would not understand, but is good. He’s always working and he’s always good
- 49:55 There’s a bigger plan
“Look among the nations, and see;(Habakkuk 1:5-60 ESV
wonder and be astounded.
For I am doing a work in your days
that you would not believe if told.
For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans,
that bitter and hasty nation,
who march through the breadth of the earth,
to seize dwellings not their own.
We need your financial help but Mattymatica isn’t a religious organization, charity or new age cult.
If you need to belong somewhere, find a local church. If you’d like to help, please consider donating.