To Boldly Go
You are wearied with your many counsels; let them stand forth and save you, those who divide the heavens, who gaze at the stars, who at the new moons make known what shall come upon you.(Isaiah 47:13) ESV
Ask the average atheist science troll (AST) scientifically illiterate science worshiper (SISW) or popular science devotee (SciPopper) to prove heliocentricity and the most frequent response is:
“Why? Heliocentricity was proven hundreds of years ago by Copernicus.”– Almost universal false belief.
It means that they don’t actually know anything about what Copernicus did. That’s not surprising though, the state of scientific knowledge among our scientific community is appalling. Copernicus didn’t prove anything, that’s why he was ignored. The work that Copernicus did was only taken seriously after Galileo produced a major embarrassment to the religious establishment by using sleight-of-hand and Copernicus’s assumptions.
- There is no one center of all the celestial circles or spheres.
- The center of the Earth is not the center of the universe, but only the center towards which heavy bodies move and the center of the lunar sphere.
- All the spheres surround the sun as if it were in the middle of them all, and therefore the center of the universe is near the sun.
- The ratio of the Earth’s distance from the sun to the height of the firmament (outermost celestial sphere containing the stars) is so much smaller than the ratio of the Earth’s radius to its distance from the sun that the distance from the Earth to the sun is imperceptible in comparison with the height of the firmament.
- Whatever motion appears in the firmament arises not from any motion of the firmament, but from the Earth’s motion. The Earth together with its circumjacent elements performs a complete rotation on its fixed poles in a daily motion, while the firmament and highest heaven abide unchanged.
- What appear to us as motions of the sun arise not from its motion but from the motion of the Earth and our sphere, with which we revolve about the sun like any other planet. The Earth has, then, more than one motion.
- The apparent retrograde and direct motion of the planets arises not from their motion but from the Earth’s. The motion of the Earth alone, therefore, suffices to explain so many apparent inequalities in the heavens.
These assumptions have no basis in observable facts or experimental findings, they summarize the mental gymnastics necessary to imagine the universe from a different frame of reference than the Earth. It expressly states the need to deny empirical observations on three occasions.
Copernicus’ Denial of Empirical Observations
- Whatever motion appears in the firmament arises not from any motion of the firmament, but from the Earth’s motion.
- What appears to us as motions of the sun arise not from its motion but from the motion of the Earth.
- The apparent retrograde and direct motion of the planets arises not from their motion but from the Earth’s.
Copernicus taught us how to imagine an alternative reality. He wrote the first episode of Star Trek. Galileo, Kepler, Newton and others convinced the modern mind that their imaginary alternative is reality. Now almost no one on Earth can even conceive the possibility that empirical observations could be reality. It’s ironic, because empirical is one of the words that ASTs, SISWs and SciPoppers throw around as supposedly proof that people of faith are stupid. Empirical has to be flushed down the toilet in order to believe the SciPop paradigm.