So there was hail, and fire mingled with the hail, very grievous, such as there was none like it in all the land of Egypt since it became a nation.(Exodus 9:24) KJV
The plagues of the Exodus included rivers and streams turning into blood, a rain of hail mingled with fire, and impenetrable darkness in which people couldn’t see their hands in front of their faces.
Moses was instructed by God to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt. He was instructed to do it in such a way that it would become a permanent memorial to the power of God among his people. God was going to do a work in Egypt that it would be impossible to forget. As instructed, Moses went to Pharaoh and warned him of the plagues which would successively ravage Egypt leaving it physically, economically and spiritually destroyed.
A lot of phenomena are described for which there really is no cause other than it for to have been a miracle. That being said, we’re not talking about violating the first law of thermodynamics. No new energy or matter had to be made, just transformed from one state into another. Once again we’ll turn to Immanuel Velikovsky for his unique insight into relatable causes for the phenomenon of the plagues.
Velikovsky incorporates Venus in several ways. He proposes that a comet was captured into our solar system which eventually became our planet Venus. While it was settling into it’s orbit it made two successive close passes with Earth, 52 years apart. He uses a wide variety of cultural resources from all over the world as supporting evidence. Here are some of the phenomena for which Venus becomes a prime suspect as a causal factor:
- Falling material plagues:
- ferruginous dust turned the rivers to blood;
- the sulfurous concoction boiling away on Venus surface span off and became hail and fire mingled with brimstone.
- Earth passed through the tail of comet Venus causing darkness, and
- acquired a petrochemical cocktail in the atmosphere which condensed every morning as manna (nice one, I tip my hat to the man).
- Pillar of cloud by day and fire by night
- Venus was so close that it’s electric charge caused the pillar to form.
- Orbital mechanics
- Venus was the gravitational force which caused it to appear as if the sun and moon stood still as the children of Israel pressed the advantage during the invasion of Canaan.
On one hand it’s easy to dismiss Velikovsky as having lost his marbles, but he used the same evidence and inductive reasoning technique as everyone else in popular science (SciPop), he was just operating independently of the narrative. When he showed up expecting to be honored and praised the peer review pack of wolves tore him to shreds.
How are we, that’s me and the Holy spirit, any different? We’ll see. People know the truth when they see it. If this is real it will survive. Whether or not Venus was involved in the plagues of Exodus is beside the point. If we knew the whole story, then we would see that every one of the 10 plagues had a relatable physical cause. We just don’t know all of the details. Energy was transformed from one form into another as miracles happened but none of the laws of physics had to be broken.
Exodus – Navigation
|2||Ferruginous Dust from Venus||Exodus 7:17|
Please support us.